The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- Intelligence and Ethics in Machines – Utopia or Dystopia? August 12, 2019Intelligence and Ethics in Machines – Utopia or Dystopia? achintya Mon, 08/12/2019 - 15:12 (Image: CERN) On Wednesday, 21 August, Vivek Nallur will give a talk on ethical issues related to artificial intelligence. His talk will be held in the main auditorium at 10.30 a.m. The presentation, which has been organised by CERN openlab, will […]achintya
- Closure of Route Fermi in the direction of Entrance B: 19-23.08 August 12, 2019Closure of Route Fermi in the direction of Entrance B: 19-23.08 The SMB department anschaef Mon, 08/12/2019 - 11:58 Due to roadwork, the pedestrian crossing of Route Fermi along building 311 will be closed from 19 to 23 August. During this period, Route Fermi will be closed in the direction of Entrance B. Thank […]anschaef
- Defibrillators and emergency equipment in the LHC and SPS tunnels August 12, 2019Defibrillators and emergency equipment in the LHC and SPS tunnels anschaef Mon, 08/12/2019 - 11:40 Following discussions between the HSE-OHS/SV/ME-FB, EN-ACE/DHO and EP/ADO services, it was decided to install first-aid equipment and defibrillators at the bottom of the access shafts of the LHC and SPS tunnels for the duration of LS2. This equipment is already […]anschaef
- CERN Open Days: volunteer registrations still open August 5, 2019CERN Open Days: volunteer registrations still open anschaef Mon, 08/05/2019 - 14:17 On 14 and 15 September, more than 150 activities will be offered to the 80 000 visitors expected on our sites. Volunteers will be the key to the success of this exceptional event. More than 2400 volunteers have already signed-up but we still […]anschaef
- No access to the fuel pumps on the Meyrin site: 30 and 31 July July 29, 2019No access to the fuel pumps on the Meyrin site: 30 and 31 July The SMB department anschaef Mon, 07/29/2019 - 11:22 Due to road works, there will be no access to the fuel pumps on the Meyrin site on 30 July (Tuesday) and 31 July (Wednesday), all day. Access to pumps will be available […]anschaef
- Migration to Windows 10 due to Windows 7 End of Life July 26, 2019Migration to Windows 10 due to Windows 7 End of Life cmenard Fri, 07/26/2019 - 14:29 Migration to Windows 10 is required during 2019 as Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 in January 2020. Windows 7 was released in July 2009 and is now obsolete. It does not enable you to benefit from recent […]cmenard
- Change concerning Windows users: Home Directories will be transferred to CERNBox July 26, 2019Change concerning Windows users: Home Directories will be transferred to CERNBox cmenard Fri, 07/26/2019 - 12:39 As previously announced at the IT Users Meeting (ITUM), the migration of Windows Home Directories* from DFS to CERNBox is planned for 2019. What does that mean? The servers storing your data will be replaced. What does it change […]cmenard
- New service for gas orders July 23, 2019New service for gas orders anschaef Tue, 07/23/2019 - 09:50 Please note that a new service has been created to manage all requests concerning the supply of gases (supply, use, maintenance services, construction of gas distribution systems). In this framework, a new gas ordering interface has been added to the CERN Service Portal: Gas request. […]anschaef
- Lightning Talks from the 2019 CERN openlab summer students July 22, 2019Lightning Talks from the 2019 CERN openlab summer students camonnin Mon, 07/22/2019 - 15:26 On Tuesday 13 August and Thursday 15 August, the CERN openlab summer students 2019 will present their work at a dedicated public Lighting Talk sessions (Session 1, Session 2). In a 5-minute presentation, each CERN openlab summer student will introduce the audience […]camonnin
- The 2018 CERN Annual Report is available July 18, 2019The 2018 CERN Annual Report is available cmenard Thu, 07/18/2019 - 16:59 The 2018 CERN Annual Report is available. It was presented to the CERN Council in June and highlights CERN's main achievements and activities from 2018. You can read it online here. Paper copies are available at the Library. To help the report to be as useful […]cmenard
Cern Live Feed