The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- Conférence Partager le savoir 2019 May 21, 2019Sharing Knowledge Conference 2019 cmenard Tue, 05/21/2019 - 16:19 The Sharing Knowledge Foundation is holding its annual conference on the theme of "Science for Impact" at CERN on 7 and 8 June 2019. Scientists, innovators, business leaders and policy makers from Europe, the Middle East and Africa will explore how science can be a vehicle […]cmenard
- CERN Relay Race 2019 – Traffic restrictions May 10, 2019CERN Relay Race 2019 – Traffic restrictions camonnin Fri, 05/10/2019 - 12:30 Please note the following restrictions on the CERN site during lunchtime: Circulation between Building 40 and Entrance A will be blocked from 12:00 until ~12:45. Circulation between Building 40 and the hostel (Building 38) will be blocked from 12:00 until ~12:45. Entrance B […]camonnin
- Concerts et spectacles au CERN May 10, 2019Music and shows at CERN camonnin Fri, 05/10/2019 - 11:48 This summer, the CERN MusiClub is organising two rock concerts at CERN. Both will feature many fine CERN bands, and admission to both is free. The first concert is Music on the Lawn, which will take place on the terrace of Restaurant 1 on the […]camonnin
- Change in the medical follow for MPE and MPA-t category B CERN dosimeter holders April 29, 2019Change in the medical follow for MPE and MPA-t category B CERN dosimeter holders camonnin Mon, 04/29/2019 - 16:40 We would like to inform you that there is a change in the medical follow up of category B (annual dose < 6 mSv/year) employed members of the CERN personnel (MPE) and associated members of the personnel […]camonnin
- Award for Early-Career Researchers in Accelerator Science April 26, 2019Award for Early-Career Researchers in Accelerator Science cmenard Fri, 04/26/2019 - 12:16 Apply to the Simon van der Meer Award for Early-Career Researchers in Accelerator Science - deadline 27 May 2019. The Simon van der Meer Award aims to recognise outstanding early career contributions (theoretical, experimental, computational or technical) in novel accelerator science. For more […]cmenard
- 23 mai: édition 2019 de la course de relais du CERN April 24, 201923 May: 2019 CERN Relay Race camonnin Wed, 04/24/2019 - 14:41 The 2019 CERN Relay Race will take place on Thursday 23 May. As is the case every year, the race will consist of a round trip of CERN’s Meyrin site in teams of six. The registration will be open starting 2 May on the Running […]camonnin
- Bike to Work 2019 : la campagne redémarre ! April 24, 2019Bike to Work 2019: back in the saddle! camonnin Wed, 04/24/2019 - 11:51 In order to participate, all you need to do is find three colleagues and register your “Bike to Work” team before 1 May on this website: https://www.biketowork.ch/en/account /company There are no registration fees and no minimum distance requirement, and part of your journey […]camonnin
- Call for volunteers for WOMAD and Roskilde festivals April 18, 2019Call for volunteers for WOMAD and Roskilde festivals camonnin Thu, 04/18/2019 - 12:13 CERN, in collaboration with Lancaster University and the Institute of Physics, will be returning to the WOMAD music and culture festival in the United Kingdom for a fourth year of highly successful physics outreach. This year we will also be heading out to the Roskilde Festival in Denmark […]camonnin
- Fermeture des restaurants CERN April 11, 2019Closure of CERN restaurants during spring 2019 camonnin Thu, 04/11/2019 - 14:53 Easter weekend (from Friday, 19 April, to Monday, 22 April, included): NOVAE: Restaurants 1, 2 and 3 as well as cafeterias (in buildings 6, 13, 30, 54, 864 and 865) will be closed. Only the cafeteria in Building 40 will be open from […]camonnin
- A new staff career development initiative April 9, 2019A new staff career development initiative camonnin Tue, 04/09/2019 - 10:00 Holding a 'Focus conversation' with the Supervisor is an opportunity for staff members to concentrate on their longer-term development perspective, reflect on their career and review personal and professional strengths. The ultimate aim is for the staff member to have a set of realistic and […]camonnin
Cern Live Feed