The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- Registration is open for the online programming workshop Django Girls March 1, 2021Registration is open for the online programming workshop Django Girls thortala Mon, 03/01/2021 - 14:08 CERN is organising a 100% virtual edition of Django Girls, a programming workshop for women aged 15 and over. The workshop will take place on the evening of Thursday, 22 April and all day on Saturday, 24 April. Coached by […]thortala
- CERN openlab technical workshop to kick off new three-year phase March 1, 2021CERN openlab technical workshop to kick off new three-year phase anschaef Mon, 03/01/2021 - 13:24 CERN openlab’s annual technical workshop will take place on 9-11 March. The event will take place online each afternoon (CET). Today, 34 joint R&D projects are being carried out through CERN openlab. These are spread across the laboratory and involve […]anschaef
- Registration for the school year 2021/2022 at the Jardin des Particules is open March 1, 2021Registration for the school year 2021/2022 at the Jardin des Particules is open anschaef Mon, 03/01/2021 - 13:12 The Jardin des Particules welcomes about 100 children, grouped according to their age: Children between the ages of 4 and 48 months attend the crèche Daily registration, attendance 2, 3 or 5 days a week Morning registration, […]anschaef
- 28th International Workshop on Weak Interactions and Neutrinos March 1, 202128th International Workshop on Weak Interactions and Neutrinos anschaef Mon, 03/01/2021 - 10:56 The goal of the 28th International Workshop on Weak Interactions and Neutrinos (WIN 2021) is to offer to the community a significant opportunity to assess the status of the field and to initiate collaborative efforts to address current physics questions. Following up […]anschaef
- Preparing for retirement - seminars for staff March 1, 2021Preparing for retirement - seminars for staff HR department thortala Mon, 03/01/2021 - 08:41 If you are a staff member and considering retirement in the next one or two years, we encourage you to participate in two special seminars, organised by Human resources department. Retirement marks the end of a person’s professional career and the […]thortala
- Science Gateway borehole strikes underground gas pocket February 25, 2021Science Gateway borehole strikes underground gas pocket thortala Thu, 02/25/2021 - 17:16 If you’re passing CERN’s Entrance A during the hours of darkness over the next few days, you might notice a flare as engineers burn off an underground pocket of gas. During the drilling of the first geothermal borehole for Science Gateway next to […]thortala
- Online networking event with start-up developing sustainable nuclear energy on 26 February at 12 p.m. February 22, 2021Online networking event with start-up developing sustainable nuclear energy on 26 February at 12 p.m. thortala Mon, 02/22/2021 - 17:27 Join representatives from Seaborg Technologies to find out more about the company, potential job opportunities and the skills and talents they are now seeking. CERN Alumnus Ask Løvschall-Jensen, co-founder and COO of the fast-growing Danish start-up, […]thortala
- New Scientist Online Event: “Making sense of quantum theory” with Carlo Rovelli February 22, 2021New Scientist Online Event: “Making sense of quantum theory” with Carlo Rovelli CERN Library thortala Mon, 02/22/2021 - 15:20 On 1 April 2021, Carlo Rovelli will give a one hour online talk on quantum theory at 6 p.m. BST / 7 p.m. Geneva Time / 1 p.m. EST, in the framework of the Big Ideas in Physics series […]thortala
- The housing service adapts to COVID-19 times February 22, 2021The housing service adapts to COVID-19 times SCE department anschaef Mon, 02/22/2021 - 11:21 Given that there are fewer people than usual staying in the CERN hostels on the Meyrin site and at the Robert Schuman residence in Saint-Genis, the SCE department is temporarily opening hostel reservations to a wider public for the duration of […]anschaef
- Come enjoy the Restaurant 1 terrace! February 22, 2021Come enjoy the Restaurant 1 terrace! SCE department anschaef Mon, 02/22/2021 - 10:12 Since 5 February, there has been an extra reason to long for the arrival of the good weather and sunnier days. As some of you have already discovered, the Restaurant 1 terrace now has new furniture, providing 150 extra places to sit […]anschaef
Cern Live Feed