The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- Conférence « Science meets fiction » October 14, 2019“Science meets fiction” conference camonnin Mon, 10/14/2019 - 14:01 Does science need fiction? Does fiction still need science? What kind of fictional spaces, and fictional scenarios emerge when scientists and artists collaborate? From bio-design to particle physics, this conference, in collaboration with Arts at CERN, will focus on the mutual influences between science and fiction. […]camonnin
- Flu: protect yourself and others October 14, 2019Flu: protect yourself and others CERN Medical Service anschaef Mon, 10/14/2019 - 10:40 The World Health Organization (WHO) maintains that influenza vaccinations are effective and safe. “Worldwide, these annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 5 million cases of severe illness and around 290 000 to 650 000 deaths.” By choosing to get vaccinated, […]anschaef
- Entrance A: contraflow system in place from 21 to 24 October October 13, 2019Entrance A: contraflow system in place from 21 to 24 October The SMB department anschaef Sun, 10/13/2019 - 14:28 Please note that, due to roadworks, only one lane will be open to traffic at Entrance A from Monday 21 to Thursday 24 October 2019 during the usual opening hours (7.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.). A […]anschaef
- Secure print: how to ensure print confidentiality and reduce paper waste October 10, 2019Secure print: how to ensure print confidentiality and reduce paper waste anschaef Thu, 10/10/2019 - 16:01 Secure printing is when you send your file to the printer (print job) with a pincode chosen by you. Your print job will not be printed until you put in this pincode at the machine. Have you ever run […]anschaef
- Fermeture exceptionnelle de R1 à 14h00 le mardi 15 octobre October 10, 2019Exceptional closure of R1 at 2.00 p.m. on Tuesday 15 October camonnin Thu, 10/10/2019 - 10:07 Restaurant 1 will exceptionally close at 2.00 p.m. on Tuesday, 15 October, because of the thank-you drink for the Open Days volunteers. The Grab & go counter will stay open as usual (until 5.00 p.m.). As an alternative for the dinner […]camonnin
- Video conferences: Please move from VidyoDesktop to VidyoConnect October 2, 2019Video conferences: Please move from VidyoDesktop to VidyoConnect camonnin Wed, 10/02/2019 - 17:33 All Vidyo users are kindly asked to switch as soon as possible to VidyoConnect (the replacement for VidyoDesktop, as announced in August 2018) for connecting to a video conference. Using the former client is affecting the quality of the whole video conference. […]camonnin
- Conférence sur la mobilité au CERN September 30, 2019Conference on Mobility at CERN cmenard Mon, 09/30/2019 - 17:15 Improving mobility at CERN – making it more fluid, greener and easier for the personnel and collaborators – is the aim of the Enterprise Mobility Plan (EMP), which is being developed by the SMB department. On 20 September, Lluis Miralles, head of the SMB department, presented […]cmenard
- Open Day at the International Labour Office September 30, 2019Open Day at the International Labour Office camonnin Mon, 09/30/2019 - 16:57 On the occasion of its 100th anniversary of action for social justice, the ILO invites you to discover the past, present and future of the world of work through various fun and interactive activities. See you Tuesday, October 15 from 3.00 p.m. in […]camonnin
- A conversation on art and life sciences September 30, 2019A conversation on art and life sciences cmenard Mon, 09/30/2019 - 15:52 SymbioticA is an artistic research centre at the University of Western Australia’s School of Anatomy and Human Biology. The lab looks at biology and life sciences from an artistic point of view and has been used to develop a number of artistic projects linked to […]cmenard
- Preparing for retirement – seminars for staff September 25, 2019Preparing for retirement – seminars for staff camonnin Wed, 09/25/2019 - 13:46 If you are a staff member and considering retirement in the next one or two years, we encourage you to participate in two special seminars, organised by the Human Resources Department. Retirement marks the end of a person’s professional career and the start of a new […]camonnin
Cern Live Feed