The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- Globe and clubs car parks closed on the morning of Thursday, 17 January January 11, 2019Globe and clubs car parks closed on the morning of Thursday, 17 January anschaef Fri, 01/11/2019 - 23:09 The car parks next to the Globe (except the P+R) and in the clubs area will be reserved for the Director-General’s New Year ceremony with the local authorities from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursday, 17 […]anschaef
- Book presentation: "From my Vast Repertoire: Guido Altarelli's Legacy" January 10, 2019Book presentation: "From my Vast Repertoire: Guido Altarelli's Legacy" anschaef Thu, 01/10/2019 - 09:51 Guido Altarelli was a leading figure in 20th century particle physics. His scientific contributions and leadership played a key role in the development of the Standard Model of fundamental interactions, as well as the current search for new physics beyond it, […]anschaef
- Closure of the Car Sharing service at the end of the year December 20, 2018Closure of the Car Sharing service at the end of the year cmenard Thu, 12/20/2018 - 19:26 The CERN Car Sharing service will be suspended during the CERN annual closure, as follow: Last booking possible on 20th December 2018 until 6 pm. Bookings will be possible again on 8th January 2019 as from 5 pm. Thank you for […]cmenard
- Postal delivery on Friday 21 December December 18, 2018Postal delivery on Friday 21 December cmenard Tue, 12/18/2018 - 23:02 Due to the annual closure of CERN, no mail will be distributed on Friday 21 December. Mail will still be collected in the morning. Nevertheless, it will be possible for you to bring outgoing mail to building 555-R-002 until 12 noon.cmenard
- Send a CERN e-card December 11, 2018Send a CERN e-card anschaef Tue, 12/11/2018 - 10:57 CERN account holders can send electronic greetings cards via this site.anschaef
- Be seen – be safe December 11, 2018Be seen – be safe HSE Unit cagrigor Tue, 12/11/2018 - 09:48 Want to make a bright impression on long dark winter nights? Then come and pick up your free reflector! It is small. It is neat. It comes with a metal chain so it can be attached to your clothes or bag. And it […]cagrigor
- 4 January: emergency stop tests on the Meyrin site December 10, 20184 January: emergency stop tests on the Meyrin site anschaef Mon, 12/10/2018 - 17:42 The emergency stop tests of the administrative area on the Meyrin site are planned on Friday 4 January 2019 from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm. Frequent power cuts will occur on this area. The EN-EL group recommends that you turn off […]anschaef
- Become a volunteer for International Day of Women and Girls in Science December 10, 2018Become a volunteer for International Day of Women and Girls in Science anschaef Mon, 12/10/2018 - 16:03 Kate Kahle presents CERN and her job as a scientific editor at Geneva Collège Voltaire (Photo: CERN) 11 February is the International Day of Women and Girls in Science. On this occasion, CERN, EPFL and UNIGE Scienscope offer local […]anschaef
- Celebrate Christmas at Restaurant 1 December 9, 2018Celebrate Christmas at Restaurant 1 anschaef Sun, 12/09/2018 - 12:17 From 10 to 14 December, Natacha, who is in charge of Novae’s grocery range, will be selling various products at our Christmas market. On Thursday, 13 December, Novae will be offering a Christmas menu for 10.20 CHF: Roast turkey breast flavoured with chestnuts and Christmas […]anschaef
- 2018 end-of-year closure of CERN’s restaurants and cafeterias December 7, 20182018 end-of-year closure of CERN’s restaurants and cafeterias anschaef Fri, 12/07/2018 - 10:39 Restaurant 1 will close at 4.00 p.m. on Friday, 21 December 2018 and reopen at the usual times on Monday, 7 January 2019. The Grab&Go will close at 3.00 p.m. on Thursday, 20 December and reopen at the usual times on Tuesday, […]anschaef
Cern Live Feed